Friday, May 28, 2010

I'm going to be honest: I love vegetables. Pretty much all vegetables. I used to love to make steamed broccoli as an afternoon snack when I was a kid and was not a fan of anything cheesy that would take away the from the taste of whatever vegetable I was eating. As an adult, I've developed more bitter favorites, like dandelion greens, arugula, kale, and brussel spouts (and I have to name chard, peppers - especially red, orange, and yellow! - and asparagus as favorites here as well since I love them so much, Shout out!). One of my (and my boyfriend's) favorite green vegetables of late are brussel spouts. Now, I know what you're thinking. Brussel sprouts?? What a sucky post. I hate brussel sprouts. But stay with me: They have a bad rep, sure. Heck, they're The Posterchild of Vegetables Kids Hate. You might even go so far as to say they're propaganda for Anti-Vegetable Eaters. But that's only when they're cooked for too long in cruel [read: boil] ways. The key is to either broil or saute them cut-half down on medium-low (emphasis on the low, though) for about 15-17 minutes. Before you put them face down though, heat up the pan (preferably cast iron) on high for a couple (2 - 3) minutes with a high quality olive oil (the kind where you can really taste the olives), salt and pepper. Then, in they go. All of them should be cut-side down. They are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G about 15-17 minutes later. Et Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment